Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My keeps itching his ear and has been whining all night. I

Customer Question

My ***** ***** keeps itching his ear and has been whining all night. I shined light in ear it's definitely red and tender. Looks as if there is something in there deep inside. He is on flee and tick meds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Poor lad!

If his ear is red and tender, then his signs are not unexpected and do raise concerns of a lower ear canal infection or possible foreign body (ie grass see, plant awn, etc). In this case, we do need to tread with care. Without looking down the canal to make sure his ear drum is intact, we will be limited in what we can use in the ear. Though you can safely flush this gently with saline/salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint luke warm water). This can soothe the discomfort, remove some bacterial/yeast agents present, and can sometimes help get foreign bodies out of the canal. As well, if the outer region of the canal is quite inflamed, you can put OTC hydrocortisone cream on the edges (not deep in the canal though) to reduce that irritation and discomfort.

Furthermore, if Timon is allergy-prone, you could try an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Finally, we'd need to block his access to his ear. He is his own worst enemy since scratching will cause further inflammation but also is how they end up with fecal bacterial infections in their ears. So, you may need to cover his back feet with baby socks or place an e-collar from the pet store to protect the ear until you can have his vet check this and dispense drops or remove anything that may be caught in the canal.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. I actually gave him a small dose of Claritin as he does have allergies. I also flushed his ear with some peroxide. I had my mom help me. He started acting better within 15 min. He is sleeping now as it is still very early here. I will take him to his vet on monday, but continue to monitor him until then.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome,

That is good to hear that you are on the same page (though be careful with putting peroxide in the ear, since any ear drum compromise could allow that into the middle ear) and I am very glad to hear that he has settled since ear discomfort isn't nice for them. And that sounds like a good plan of action for Timon.

Keep up the good work,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you. I will use the water and salt next time. I do have an e collar for him i just have to grab it out of storage as he has had bladder stones before and required surgery. He is like my kid so anything out of him being him concerns me. I appreciate your help. Thank you so much.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Perfect! I know he won't thank us for the collar but its safest to prevent him making this worse as we try to soothe this until his vet can have a wee best.

Take care & have a peaceful weekend,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.
Hi Christopher,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Timon. How is everything going?

Dr. B.