Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

I have a 8 years old Shih Tuz that started skin problem

Customer Question

i have a 8 years old Shih Tuz that started skin problem couple of weeks ago, The Vet prescribe him Apoquel to him. 2pills a day for one week, 1 pill a day. He is on the second week. He does not itch now, but I learn that the Apoquel has bad side effects. what is your opinion and what is my option.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am glad to hear that Fonzie's itching is better. Apoquel is a new medication, without the side effects of steroids, and helps about 80% of dogs with allergies.

What bad side effects have you heard? I have been using this drug quite a bit for over a year without any problems.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I have been doing some searching with dermatologists. We have seen Apoquel cause a temporary low white blood cell count. If a dog has a case of warts, Apoquel should be stopped until the warts resolve.

There are a few reports of dogs developing increased pigment in their skin.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Some dogs develop a reduced appetite, which usually goes away after a few days.

Since this is a new drug, I usually do blood tests after the dog has been taking it for a couple of weeks to a month, to check cell counts and liver values, etc. So far no problems in the dogs I have treated, and I have not seen any of the side effects listed above.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I have not heard back from you; I hope you were able to see my response. Can I help with anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.
Hi Diana,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Fonzie. How is everything going?