Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My little chihuahua just "pulled a muscle" I believe in his

Customer Question

My little chihuahua just "pulled a muscle" I believe in his lower back. He yelps when he twists a certain direction. Can I use Arnica to relieve the discomfort and help him heal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your little dog is painful. He may have a muscle pull, but it could be a pinched nerve or a bulging disc in his back.

You can use a small amount of Arnica topically, but don't let him lick it and eat the ointment. However, if the problem is deeper, in his spine or a disc, it may not help.

How much does he weigh? You could try baby aspirin, if he is eating normally but I need his weight to give you a safe dose.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
6.5 lbs. Eating and drinking normally. I believe it's 5 mg/lb?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

He could take 30 mg of aspirin, which would be less than 1/2 of a baby or low dose aspirin. I would give 1/4th of a baby aspirin, with food, and if he does not vomit you can repeat that once to twice daily.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I have not heard back from you; I hope you were able to see my response.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?