Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a puppy about 45 pounds who ate one of my older dogs

Customer Question

I have a puppy about 45 pounds who ate one of my older dogs vetmedin - 10 mg. Will it hurt her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sunshine
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sunshine?
Customer: She's very healthy otherwise and has not eaten since breakfast
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she have this?

How is she just now?

How old is she?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She ate it about 15 minutes ago, She seems fine
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All I want to know is is she in any danger. I don't want a service just an answer
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

Now the good news is that Sunshine's weight works in out favor since the dose is a safe one for her size. Therefore, while we could induce vomiting or use activated charcoal (both of which I am happy to discuss), we can just monitor her for the next 24 hours. Generally speaking, if anything we could see gut upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss).

To address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this isn't ideal for her to have but it is a dose that isn't likely to cause severe harm. Therefore, we can err on the side of caution if you wished to but otherwise would just use the above here as we keep an eye on her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nevermind, I just found the vetmedin. She didn't eat it after all.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

That is the best case scenario, but just for the future its not something we'd be worried about if she only had one.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** know for any future mishaps!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome,

Have a lovely weekend,

Dr. B.