Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog just vomited up blood what's wrong otherwise he seems

Customer Question

My dog just vomited up blood what's wrong otherwise he seems fine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Jayjay. When did this vomiting start? Is it blood tinged, or straight blood? Is there anything he could have gotten in to today or over the last couple of days? What has his diet been the last couple of days? Is he lethargic?

I will wait to hear from you.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There's nothen unusual he eats dog food and a small amount of meat
From table last night had a small piece of rib with bone onit
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Ok thanks for that. What breed and weight is your boy? Was the vomit straight blood? Or blood tinged?

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again Anna,

I'm not sure if you could my other question, but that's ok. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Jayjay today, and given he has had bloody vomit, we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (although it's a relief he doesn't seem to have gotten in to anything), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction, or intestinal damage from the rib bone he managed to eat last night. You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on him, and if this vomiting continues, if he seems lethargic, or if see blood from anywhere else (indicating a possible clotting issue) then you will need to get him seen by your local ER or after hours vet this afternoon or this evening.

For now, make sure he has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. The biggest concern right now is that he could become dehydrated. If he won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get him seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start him on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold his food until the morning now, and from then you can start him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting him to eat tonight, but definitely encourage him to drink now and over night. If he isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed him this luke-warm broth.

For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate. Because he seems to have blood in his vomit, we definitely also have to consider a gastrointestinal bleed, or even a blood clotting issue. If any of these parameters aren't normal now (particularly the mucus membrane and refill time check), then get him seen straight away:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As he is likely quite nauseous, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with Jayjay and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if he can't keep water down, seems very lethargic, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get him seen today. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again Anna

How did you get on with your boy? It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E