Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

We took my dauchund to the vet for unknown ailment he was

Customer Question

We took my dauchund to the vet for unknown ailment he was circling to the right and then he went into the corner and started screaming.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dauchund
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes
JA: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. How old is Dauchund?
Customer: unknown
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dauchund?
Customer: at least 10
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 9 months ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you today. Is your dog on any medications? How long ago did the symptoms start and how is he doing now?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We took him to the vet they gave us predazone Valium denamarin metronidazole then said there was nothing the could do liver enzymes are elevated that was all they said
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He could walk fine prior to going to the vet now he is having trouble walking. He is more coherent and is aware.

It sounds like it could be a couple of different things. Vestibular disease is common in older pets, which affects their equilibrium. It can cause circling, difficulty walking, a head tilt, and nystagmus (fast movement of the eyes). This condition often resolves on its own.

It sounds like your dog is potentially having some pain. Intervertebral disc disease (IVDD) is common in Daschunds, and can cause back pain and difficulty walking. Prednisone is one of the treatments for this. Sometimes surgery can be necessary in certain cases.

If your dog was walking fine and now he isn't, it may mean that his neurologic function is declining, which can be an indication for surgery. The best thing would be for him to see an emergency veterinarian today to assess that.

Dr. Snow