Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My fog is about 14 year d old. He has an enlarged heart. He

Customer Question

My fog is about 14 year d old. He has an enlarged heart. He has a very dry sounding cough that won't stop. I haven't been able to get an ultrasound to diagnose his heart condition. The vet gave me throttling to open his lungs and hat worked good for a few weeks and then we added basic and it worded in combination with other med for a few week. Now no matter what he has this dry sounding cough over and over. Anything else I can try till I can get ultrasound. I'm afraid he is suffering and may have heart attack.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I am very sorry to hear that your lad has this cough. In dogs with heart disease, we do often see coughing due to the enlarged heart pushing up on the trachea. When this happens, it upsets smooth airflow triggering the cough. As well with that we can also see secondary inflammation or on occasion infections of the throat arise since the bacteria are able to accumulate easier.

In this case, as long as he is breathing comfortably, we'd not assume he is suffering. Though further to the bronchodilators you were given to open up the lungs, you could ring his vet about anti-inflammatories to soothe any inflammation in the upper airway. Though in the meantime, to reduce and soothe this cough, you can try giving a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here. These can just try to reduce irritation in the throat to ease his signs even if we cannot take any steps for his heart until his upcoming scan.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How can I get him to take honey
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

If he won't take it on his own, then its easiest to use a syringe/turkeybaster/eyedropper and administer it between the cheek and teeth. That way you don't have to wrestle to get the teeth apart but still get it into the mouth to treat.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hi Brenda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Brenda Morrid. How is everything going?

Dr. B.