Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

This morning my dogs upper eyelid is swollen, it was fine

This morning my dogs upper eyelid is swollen, it was fine until about 2 hours ago, she was outside right before the swelling started. Any idea what it could be.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pasha, she's about 6years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pasha?
Customer: No she's a healthy dog, just had her yearly check up and shots

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, thank you.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely your sweet Pasha has been bitten by an insect that she is allergic to. The treatment for this is Benadryl at 1 mg per pound of Pasha's weight every 12 hrs. Apply cold compresses to the eyelid every 4 hrs to help reduce the swelling but the Benadryl will probably relieve this within a few hours. If the swelling does not resolve, then take Pasha to your vet for an exam. In rare cases, this reaction can get worse but this is unusual.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my dog is about 65lbs, do u think 2- 25mg benadryl caps will suffice?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That does make sense, thank u

Yes, that is perfect...2 - 25 mg Benadryl every 12 hrs and apply cold compresses to the eyelid...good job!! Let me know how Pasha does in a few hours. Thanks!!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will do, thanks for your help

You are very welcome! I hope sweet Pasha feels better soon!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is back to normal today, the swelling actually started going down yesterday shortly after giving her the benadryl. Thanks again for your help.

That is great news!! You did a great job for your sweet Pasha!