Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate my rice heating pad last last night full of raw

Customer Question

My dog ate my rice heating pad last last night full of raw rice. He's been panting all night and today. He pooped solid white stool full of rice. His rib cage is a bit extended. The emergency vet is an hour away. Wondering if I should take him in.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How is your lad now?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi there! Thank you for getting back to me!
He is 12
His gums are minorly pail pink (in comparison to my other lab who's 5 years younger)
When I press he doesn't seem to mind
The breathing was tough to count. Anytime I look at him he starts to get excited. Lol. One time I got 66 another time 72.Thanks again for your help!!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also just wanted to add... he is acting completely normal and happy other than the panting.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again.

You are very welcome.

Do you think that is paler then usual for him?

Since he is getting excited when you look his way, do you think he is appearing distressed with his breathing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I wish I looked at his gums more... but I think they look pretty normal for him. He is panting more than normal, but he doesn't seem distressed. He's always such a happy dog, it's hard to tell. Can you tell me what to look for as signs of distress in breathing? Last night he was heavily panting all night... but today it's not nearly as bad. It's a light pant. Only heavy when he starts wagging his tail, which is common for him. He's still playful and happy...
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He seems a little more anxious then anything else..
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

No worries, most people don't do so. I just wanted to make sure in case you had done so before.

Now the dilemma when they eat uncooked rice is that it tends to expand when in contact with stomach fluids. If they have quite a bit that can cause bloating, belly pain, and potential dehydration and electrolyte imbalances (which can cause weakness, lethargy). In severe cases, it can also impact circulation of the gut leading to paling of the gums generally.

Just to note, if he were distressed then he'd appear agitated when panting. And in cases where we are worried of oxygen compromise or circulation problems, we'd expect to see those gums being very pale/white. That said, his current panting does make me wary of a bit of discomfort but I am very glad to hear that his belly is comfortable with palpation. If he wasn’t then we’d be keen to have him seen. As well, if those gums are only slightly pale, then we’d just want to keep an eye (as that may be his normal color).

As we monitor, we’d want to take some steps to see if we can soothe his stomach and keep him passing this rice. To do so, we can start by feeding small meals of a light diet (ie boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only)) To these we can add some fiber (ie canned pumpkin) or OTC GI lubricants (ie cat hairball treatment, Miralax). The former will help push the rice through and the latter can help keep things moving through the gut. Together they will help us debulk all this expanded rice and just get it passed.

Further to this, if you see any hints of nausea, then we can also start your wee one on an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, it sounds like he has given himself a mild food bloat with the rice. Though since he is comfortable and his gum color doesn’t sound particularly compromised, I’d advise monitoring and using the above. Of course if he develops any of the above signs, then we’d be best to have a check with his vet but often these wee ones do settle within 48 hours on their own with supportive care.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much! That's very helpful. I'll keep a close eye on him and feed him based on your suggestions.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad I could assist you and give you some peace of mind after his mischief. :)

All the best for Cooper,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you tell me how many eggs? LOL... it's all I have at home. Maybe one at a time this afternoon and this eve?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

There is no hard and fast rule. Though we could give 1-2 scrambled for him for lunch and then again for dinner. And as we get him settled, we can increase this followed by gently weaning him back to his normal food.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.