Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.

Heaving and vomiting since about 2:30 am though just mucus

Customer Question

heaving and vomiting since about 2:30 am though just mucus is coming up doesnt seem to been in any other distress just drank some water and it stayed down
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: mini aussie pup one year old
JA: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the pup eat anything unusual?
Customer: no new food lots of mucus drooly white foamy out her mouth
JA: What is the pup's name?
Customer: vivian
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about vivian?
Customer: Not really very active eats welll in great health
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Vivian's troubles. I'm sorry you've had such a long night! Some things you can try to help stop the vomiting are to withhold food for today. Just offer Vivian small amounts of water every couple of hours. Try not to let her drink a large amount at once as this can lead to more vomiting. You can also freeze some water in a dish and let her lick at that throughout the day, or give her ice cubes.

If no more vomiting occurs throughout today, you can offer her food this evening. Give her a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice. Try giving her a TBSP, is she keeps that down for an hour, you can give her another TBSP. It that all goes okay, tomorrow you can try giving her a couple TBSPs every couple hours as long as there is no vomiting. You can then slowly work her back onto her regular food.

You can also give her a little pepto bismol to help settle her stomach. The dose is 1 ml per 10 pounds every 6-8 hours.

If she is still feeling well other than the vomiting, chances are she just picked up a little stomach bug and just needs some time to work it out. Some things to watch out for would be an increase in the frequency of vomiting, development of diarrhea, lethargy or fever. Make sure she stays hydrated. You can check hydration by touching her gums. They should be slimy to the touch. If they are sticky or dry, she needs fluids. If she becomes dehydrated or develops any of the signs listed above, it would be time to get her to a vet.

I hope this helps. Please contact me with any further questions you may have. Thank you and good luck!