Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

SHE IS JUSTING LAYING AROUND. NOT HER PLAY FULL SELF. SHE

Customer Question

SHE IS JUSTING LAYING AROUND. NOT HER PLAY FULL SELF. SHE EATING AND DRINKING WATER. BUT SHE IS JUST QUITE AND OFF TO HER SELF.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: SWEETIE. 6YRS
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about SWEETIE?
Customer: NO NOTHING I COULD THINK OF.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely Sweetie has suffered an injury to a disc in her back. This is very common in some breeds because of their conformation. Since Sweetie does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for her pain which is shown by her not wanting to do her normal things. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when she jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as Sweetie is eating, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine Sweetie to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. I will call the vet. How did this happen.

Like I explained, this can happen just like in people where they move the wrong way or jump up or down on something and tweak their back. Because of Sweetie's age, this could also be due to an aggravated arthritis that you may not even be aware of. It is great that you will see your vet to know for sure.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks

You are very welcome! I hope your Sweetie feels better soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta