Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

My pup is on enalapril for his heart murmur, i was wondering

Customer Question

My pup is on enalapril for his heart murmur, i was wondering if i could give him otc water pill to help with his cough.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: i've been to the vet, that's where i got the enalapril. Monty, he's almost 12.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Monty vet wanted to do more tests before giving anymore medicine
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Monty?
Customer: nope, otherwise he's completely healthy. kidneys and other organs operating at optimum efficiency
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 29 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you.

Im sorry Monty has heart disease. Enalapril is a good first choice drug for heart disease. If Monty has an increased resting respiratory rate, then a diuretic (furosemide or spironolactone) might be added to help with a cough. The diuretic would only be added if the cough is due to pulmonary edema (fluid buildup in the lungs). With heart disease we can also see a cough because the heart is enlarged and compressing the trachea, eliciting a cough. Monty should really have chest X-rays prior to additional medications. I do not recommend giving any over the counter medications with heart disease. Please ask any followup questions. You can continue to post on this thread for a few days, even after rating my response. Take care.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
he had x rays- his heart is enlarged but isn't pushing on the trachea
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
he's a 24 lb cock-a-poo
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
his heart did race before enalapril, but not anymore
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
he has fallen over a couple of times, his eyes are open, but his body had no tension, very wobbly
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
this was after too much excitement or too much running around

Okay great. Please count how many times he takes a breath in 15 seconds. This should be done when he is resting. The resting respiratory rate should be 16-28. If it is higher, then you should contact your local veterinarian about starting him on furosemide.

If he is falling over or passing out, then he needs to be taken to your local vet this morning. He may be having arrhythmias where his heart is not pumping blood effectively.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
his respiratory rate is just under 16, i think, he's semi sleeping now

Okay that is a good respiratory rate. However, if he still seems off balance when he wakes up, you should really get him checked out locally. I am off an on the compute throughout the day if you have any additional questions. Take care.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
It isn't when he wakes up, only when he gets excited, and not every time. I tried to go to the vet to get a prescription for a diuretic, but she wanted to do more tests costing $400 to $600. That's why I wanted to see if I could get an over the counter diuretic to help him.