Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a cocker spainall who is paralyzed in rear hips what

Customer Question

I have a cocker spainall who is paralyzed in rear hips what can I do for his condition
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cocker's name and age?
Customer: cc cocoa number 2 about 5-6 years old
JA: What is the cocker's name?
Customer: cc cocoa number2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cocker?
Customer: this condition appeared yesterday he is in pain
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with your guy. What is his name? Is he completely down in his rear legs and is dragging himself around? Has he been seen by your vet for this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no not at present time
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he is in pain he has no control of legs cant walk

Can you tell me his name? Is he able to move his front legs normally? Can he drag himself around?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he able to drag himself around with his front legs

For a dog that is not using the rear legs and able to drag themselves with their front ones, a lower back injury is the big concern. Could this be due to trauma? Some at my ER have similar presentations from falls or being hit by something and it injuring the spinal cord. Could it be due to a disc issue? That is honestly the most common thing I see at my ER that presents similar to this. This is a serious situation as when they are dragging their legs, it shows how altered the nervous system is in relation to the function of the rear legs. At home, all an owner can do there is time, rest, general nursing care, physical therapy and pain management. This situation is a serious one and my best recommendation is to get into a practice today so they can evaluate him. If it is possible, surgery would most likely be the best thing for him if it is a disc issue. A lot of owners won't do surgery due to cost - in my area, back surgery runs around $3000 for the dignostics for it, surgery and post operative care. In those cases, then owners are instructed on how to care at home for their dog.

Here is a very good link I want you to read on the disc situation.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3215