Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has been scratching his neck, shaking his head,

Customer Question

My dog has been scratching his neck, shaking his head, whining and panting for about 3 hours, since 3am. I gave him Benadryl but it's not helping.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What dose of Benadryl did you give?

How much does he weigh?

Any odor, redness, inflammation or discharge from the ears?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I gave him 75mg. He weighs 65 pounds. No discharge from ears
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if he is shaking his head as well as scratching his neck, this does suggest that his ears are causing bother. If there had been discharge, then a sever yeast or bacterial would be our top concern (it is still possible but if it is only affecting the lower canal, then likely an early stage or mild one). That said, with it not being over out other concern has to be an ear based foreign body. It is not common for our dogs to get grass seeds, awns, and even bits of dirt or bugs trapped in the ear. And when this happens they can show the signs you have reported and be quite distressed.

Now the Benadryl will be of limited use here since its just intended for allergies. The only benefit it could really have here is its mild sedative effects. So, you could raise the dose up to 130 every 8 hours to try and calm him. But otherwise our main home care option here would be to gently flush the ear with luke warm water or salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). This will help soothe irritation, flush out bacterial/yeast concerns and can loose some foreign bodies to get them out of the ear. This can be done as much as needed and as often as needed. Of course, if his signs persist, then we'd need his vet to look down the canal once they open and possibly sedate to remove anything caught there. They can also dispense dog safe anti-inflammatories if the ear is very irritated to just get this settled as quickly as possible.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )