Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My friend took her dog to a vet cpl days ago sm dog flea

Customer Question

my friend took her dog to a vet cpl days ago sm dog flea infestation anemic as to point of pale gums, sent her home w/ nothing no predisone no blood transfusion nothing but gave dog the flea pill even thou severly anemic, now vet won't be in till tomorrow, dog is labored breathing lethargic what can we do till we get to vet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: they know the cause anemia due to blood loss of fleas smokey 2 yrs old 3 pounds
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: smokey
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about smokey?
Customer: no other than the flea poison put on him while severly anemic i'm talking white gums
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 28 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

I am so sorry to hear that this vet didn't check how anemic Smokey was (via blood sample) and treat if he was as severely affected as you have reported. In this case, if his breathing is laboured, there are no safe home treatments and really he needs oxygen at the very least. The reason why they have laboured breathing with severe anemia is because they don't have enough red blood cells to carry oxygen to all the cells in the body. Therefore, he will certainly need a blood transfusion (steroids will boost his own production but that can take time) if he this severely affected but otherwise oxygen would be needed to help his body maximize uptake to keep him going. Therefore, we'd want to rest him (so he isn't wasting oxygen if we can help it) but it'd be best to get him to the ER so he can but put in an oxygen tent until the ER vet or your regular vet can get him the transfusion he needs to stabilize until his body can replace those lost red blood cells.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ or via

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 25 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.