Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Our dog seems to be constipated, his name is Freddie and he

Customer Question

our dog seems to be constipated
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is 4 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Freddie?
Customer: We live in a condo on the 14th floor so we have trained him to pads.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Freddie. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Thank you for your patience. There are a few different things that could help Freddie in this situation. If he seems to be a little constipated and his poop is quite hard, there are a couple of things you could try from home. The best 'at home' remedy is to pop around a dessert spoon or two of cooking oil on some wet food twice a day for a few days. This helps coat the poop at his terminal colon to help them slide through more easily. If you can source it, Lactulose syrup works perfectly for this situation, however you may need a prescription from your Vet for this.

If his poop is really quite firm and he is very painful when trying to pass them, then you can purchase a product called "micralax" from your drug store. This is a suppository that needs to be inserted up the bottom, so if you do decide to try this make sure you lubricate the nozzle and insert if very gently into his bottom before squeezing out the contents. This breaks up the poop in the terminal colon and coats it allowing the dog to poop easily within 5 - 10 minutes. If you don't feel comfortable or confident in doing this, then you are better off letting your Vet handle this problem. In some cases a full enema under general anesthesia is necessary.

Hopefully a combination of micralax and a little cooking oil do the trick. You should then feed ongoing cooking oil 3 - 4 times weekly or something high in fiber such as mashed pumpkin. The other option would be to use a little plain metamucil on his wet food (around a teaspoon) once per day ongoing. The psyillium husk in the metamucil helps to keep the stool moist and gel-like, assisting Freddie when he is passing his feces. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.