Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate perfume, Sophie, 1, She's 10-12 pounds, not sure

Customer Question

My dog ate perfume
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sophie, 1
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about sophie?
Customer: She's 10-12 pounds, not sure how much she ingested.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Perfume has alcohol denat. 1.9 ounce bottle total, but was only halfway filled prior to her chewing it. Not sure if she ingested the other half or if it leaked out
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your answer now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. As you only have a small dog and there was some alcohol content then one of the best things you can do as a precaution in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover any ingested perfume that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However I doubt very much if Sophie swallowed much of the perfume as it will be very distasteful to dogs, but of course if any odd symptoms should occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected initial side effects would include vomiting, lethargy and incoordination

3. In any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sophie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the perfume incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.