Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 20 pound miniature pincer ate a bar of soap. regular bath

Customer Question

My 20 pound miniature pincer ate a bar of soap. regular bath and hand soap. My husband tried to get it away from her so she swallowed it so that it couldn't be taken away. now what??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: dog. 20 pounds
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: DANA 3 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: DANA
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about DANA?
Customer: I don't think so. normal healthy dog but stubborn and likes to steal and hide things. She hid a dead mouse in my chair under the cushion. She grabbed it and ran with it when I found it. She probably ate it or buried it in the yard. That was months ago. She has plenty of chew toys and favorite toys. She is normally a healthy but goofy kind of dog. I had dogs all of my life. I am 62. I normally keep the bathroom door closed but someone left it open and she ate a bar of soap. She ate dinner an hour ago before it happened.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your answer now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes

Hello again

Dana sounds like quite a character, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. For dogs to eat soap is a common incident, and in my experience soap is not toxic to them in any way.

2. What may or may not happen is that your dog will have a transient episode of vomiting but usually that will soon pass, this about the worst you can expect under the circumstances.

3. There are no special measures you need take in this situation but it would still be wise to monitor your dog and contact your vet if any strange symptoms develop other than the vomiting. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Dana's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Dana is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the soap incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?