Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

One of my dogs eyes is very dilated while the other is

Customer Question

Hi, one of my dogs eyes is very dilated while the other is normal. The dilated eye also has the eyelid swollen. There is no redness from what i can tell but I have noticed a little bit of discharge. I believe she is able to see from it. I can't tell if she's in pain but she squints on that eye and also has been licking her paw and scratching it. I would really appreciate help for this, I am so worried....
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I attached two pictures. The red in her eye is actually completely black.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I should mention also that I have been notincing for a few months now, a lot of cloudiness in both eyes. I'm not sure if that could be related...
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 30 days ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 30 days ago.

It is difficult to say for sure but she may have glaucoma with increased pressure in the eye.

Another possibility is that the retina, or blood supply to the back of the eye, has detached.

She needs to have a veterinarian look the the eye with an opthalmascope and possibly have the eye pressure checked in that eye. If the pressure is high then medication can be prescribed to lower it.

Is there any way you can take her to the emergency clinic tonight?

The sooner you have her examined the better the prognosis for the eye or her sight.