Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 2 year old Lab who has torn his ACL and is

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2 year old Lab who has torn his ACL and is scheduled for TPLO surgery soon. The question I have concerns the cruciate ligament. The surgeon, board certified, says that there is no actual repair to the cruciate ligament, only This surgery adjusts the slope of the tibial plateau (preventing unwanted forward motion) by cutting and rotating the top of the tibia, and keeping it in position with a bone plate. I haven't been able to get a satifactory answer about the cruciate ligament, what happens to it? Does it repair itself by scare tissue? or is it damged forever and what adverse effect will this have on a full recovery? etc. Thanks, Jim
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No, not at all
JA: Phew. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry your dog has a torn ACL. The ligament is a short one, inside the knee joint. Once it tears, there is not much normal ligament left and it does not usually heal back together. If it does heal, it would heal as scar tissue that would not be strong or stable. It is my understanding that the remnants of the torn ligament are removed when the TPLO is done.

Does this help? Can I answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you. Can I answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?