Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog entered vet clinic at 3:00 in the afternoon because

Customer Question

my dog entered vet clinic at 3:00 in the afternoon because he had been unable to poop all morning and was lethargic and would not drink water . Dr. said he had 105.9 fever and a white cell count of 6. otherwise blood work looked great. heart, lungs sounded fine.palpated stomach, nothing found. treated for fever it immediately came down to 103.5. By 11:00 my dog was dead. any ideas?
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 28 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm very, very sorry to hear about this loss for you. Did all this just happen today? Was he having any vomiting prior to the visit? Was he eating normally prior to the day of going into the office? Did they take any x-rays? Did they offer to do a necropsy to get more answers?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
It happened on the Sunday before Labor Day. No vomiting. Ate normally day before, did not eat that morning. They did take x-rays,
looked ok. He was a rock eater
so we thought that was problem.
It wasn't.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 28 days ago.

Did your vet have any thoughts as to why he passed so unexpectedly? IN a situation like that at my ER, I will offer an owner an autopsy to try and get them some answers. Sometime this can provide a very specific problem and other times it rules out specific problems. A fever of unknown origin is basically the known information at this time. It could be from an infection or from the body been that stressed. Could it have been higher than that at some point? Could he have had a heat stroke?