Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has a bad skin condition. She chews and scratches

Customer Question

My dog has a bad skin condition. She chews and scratches until she bleeds. Flaking and bad odor.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maggie 12 years old. I have only used frontline. But only in the summer
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?
Customer: I give her glucosomine for her hips
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I will give you a list of things to help with allergies but if there is any discharge, oozing, or no improvement with the recommendations then please consider a veterinary exam to control symptoms

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch. This might cause mild sedation but this will subside with use
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo daily at first with ten minute contact time to the most itchy areas then rinse thoroughly. Once the chewing begins to subside you can reduce the frequency of the baths
- Fish oil supplementation to promote a healthy skin and coat. A dose of 750 mg EPA & DHA daily and will take 2-4 weeks to have full effect
- A high quality organic diet not one that contains by products
- If necessary a thin layer of a 1% cortisone cream to the areas of irritation and chewing. Please wipe off after ten minute to minimize systemic absorption but also prevent ingesting it when licking
- A cone or e- collar that you can purchase at your local petstore to break the cycle of chewing and inflammatory reaction while the above recommendations begin to take effect
- Again if no improvement then please consider a veterinary exam. There are medicated shampoos as well as oral medications to control symptoms such as apoquel (CLICK HERE) and hopefully help get Maggie comfortable.

I hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!