Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

His dew claw has a crack in it.. going about 75% of the way

Customer Question

His dew claw has a crack in it.. going about 75% of the way through the nail, lots of licking and pretty sensitive. wondering if i should take him to the vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: no bleeding either
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: nah hes a healthy 2 yr old blue heeler
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would also like you guys to review a picture of what the nail looks like
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. It probably isn't an emergency, but there is a risk of infection if not already set in. If he is bothering it a lot by licking at it, I would recommend getting him into the vet today if possible. If you cannot, I would get a cone collar that extends a couple of inches past his nose to keep him from licking at it. The vet would be able to clip it back and give him some antibiotics and pain medications to start the healing process faster, though. I would be happy to look at a picture if you can post it or attach it to your next message. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 27 days ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Heeler is doing and to see if you have further questions.

Dr John