Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had scratched his tail open. What can I give him to

Customer Question

my dog had scratched his tail open. What can I give him to stop itching?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if he has an open wound, we will need to start by bathing with a mild antiseptic (ie salt water, dilute chlorohexidine, etc), applying an OTC antibiotic cream and blocking his access to the area.

Otherwise, to counter the itching, you can consider trying him with an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Finally, if we are blocking his access from chewing this, then you could also apply an OTC hydrocortisone cream to the itchy areas to topically reduce that irritation for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He is doing better with the Benadryl but he is still scratching. I think the dog is having problems with a flee spray that was sprayed on him about a week ago. The dog is a Bishon and he does not have flees but does have very sensitive skin. I think I am going to have to bath the dog and that might stop the itching. Thanks for asking.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Good morning,

I am glad to hear he is improving but if you think the spray is still irritating his skin, the we'd absolutely want to make sure to bathe that off. As well, consider using an emollient shampoo like Episoothe or an oatmeal based one to further reduce his irritation here.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

**Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (there is no extra charge for doing so). Thank you for your feedback!: )