Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Can I give Capstar to my dog who has a history of

Customer Question

Can I give Capstar to my dog who has a history of pancreatitis?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: He has been chronically itching and yesterday I applied Frontline. I would now like to give him Capstar.
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Benson, and he is 11-12 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Benson,?
Customer: No. He is healthy otherwise.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Benson. There are no contraindications for using Capstar in a dog with a history of pancreatitis. The drug is considered well tolerated by most pets with few adverse effects. The only listed adverse effect in my drug formulary is that occasionally as fleas die on the pet they may scratch, which should be temporary and is due to the fleas, not the drug. There are no drug interactions listed, and it is considered a very safe medication provided your dog is over 2 pounds in size.

Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you received my reply and if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!!!