Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I'm looking for a really objective standpoint. I have an 8.5

Customer Question

Hi, I'm looking for a really objective standpoint. I have an 8.5 year old dog named Samson who is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. He stopped eating last week, only drinking and having tons of accidents. Took him to the vet who said he has an eye and ear infection and a possible UTI so we got meds for all three issues. He resumed eating briefly, and then stopped again altogether. Now pooping black, tarry stools and looks very unhappy. His bloodwork came back that he has diabetes along with ketones in his urine and abnormal pancreas and liver levels, but on top of that he already has a heart murmur that will require cardiology care. What would his quality of life be moving forward? I see the change in my dog, and how unhappy he is now. :( He doesn't eat, doesn't play, can barely walk up the stairs or go on walks. I'm leaning towards euthanasia as I don't know if getting him to survive all of these ailments will be worth it for him in the long run.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I'm sorry? He doesn't have a wound on his foot.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Samson?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Had he had his heart evaluated by a cardiologist yet?
2) If so, what meds are recommended?
3) Do you have a copy of the blood work?
4) Have his symptoms been treated yet at this time?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, they wanted to wait until the eye and ear and UTI had cleared up. But, his heart murmur is grade 4.I don't have a copy of the bloodwork, the medicine given has not been working to alleviate his symptoms.