Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My female dachshund keeps walking around the back yard and

Customer Question

My female dachshund keeps walking around the back yard and stretching her hind legs out behind her. she seems very comfortable. I am not sure if its her back or a stomach ache or even constipation. But something is wrong. She is very food oriented and tonight she does not want to eat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound on her feet and no lumps on her back, she does keep her tail tuckede
JA: What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Molly and she's 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Molly?
Customer: she is in great health and has all her shots
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now if Molly is stretching, restless, and off her food, then my main concern here would be a brewing pancreatitis. This is where the pancreas becomes inflamed and often they stretch due to the discomfort it causes. It can also cause nausea, which can put them of their food. Otherwise, we could see this with a severe gut infection, stomach ulcer, a blockage (from stool or something she ate), or her back could be a concern but I suspect you would have seen Molly more reactive when you handle her back +/- leg signs instead of going off food if that was our culprit.

With this all in mind, since her signs suggest discomfort, we do need to tread with care. In fact, with these all in mind, it'd be ideal to have her seen by her vet so that we can pinpoint which issue is present and get her onto gut safe pain relief and symptomatic care to nip this in the bud for her.

Though if there is any delay in doing so, we can try some home supportive care. To start, you can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and can help with pancreatitis. You can also add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to these meals to help keep her regular and passing stools normally.

Overall, Molly's signs do raise a few concerns here. With her stretching, pancreatitis would be my first concern but the others would need to be considered as well at this stage. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her until her vet can check her over. Once they can, they will assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable gut safe pain relief, anti-nausea medication, gastroprotectants, +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.