Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

I'm concerned my dog has bloat. Can you let me know if I

Customer Question

I'm concerned my dog has bloat. Can you let me know if I should bring him to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog. Can you tell me what is going on with him?

Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

Hello? Are you online to discuss your dog?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He has eaten a large amount of food about five hours ago. His stomach is a bit distended and it's been gurgling for a while now. No vomiting and he's lying on his back sleeping. He urinated several times when I walked him and tried to poop a couple of times unsuccessfully.
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I am happy to help. Signs of bloat include a visibly distended belly (if you place your hands on either side of the belly, past the rib cage, it feels like a balloon), breathing fast or hard, lethargy, trying to vomit but cannot. If you lift your pets lip and the gums are not pink, that is another indicator to go to the ER sooner rather than later.

Even if your pet does not get bloat, that amount of food can cause upset tummy. I always tell clients, better safe than sorry, so if you are seeing any of the signs I mentioned, then I recommend a trip in.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.

Hello, I did not receive any reply from you, do you still require assistance?