Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Rottie puppy ate pain pill meant for 95 lb rottie with

Customer Question

Rottie puppy ate pain pill meant for 95 lb rottie with osteosarcoma
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Khuda
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Khuda?
Customer: He is only 13 weeks and about 20 lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today.

However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following, you can then expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

1. What was the name of the drug and what was it's strength { mg } ?

2. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago } ?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Carprofen 75 mg. About 10-20 mins ago.

Hello again

I have very quickly worked out an answer for you below.

1. OK, this is quite an overdose for your pup, so you have to act quickly, but you still got time to sort this out

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your pup sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However if you fail to quickly induce vomiting then you should take your pup to an ER vet without delay. The ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs and also prescribe other drugs to limit inflammatory damage to your pup's digestive tract.

4. In any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your pup's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Khuda is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the accidental Carprofen ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?