Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My 3 month old Havanese puppy arrived on Monday by an 8 hour

Customer Question

My 3 month old Havanese puppy arrived on Monday by an 8 hour plane ride she has had two sets of vaccinations including kennel cough. Every couple of hours she coughs up flem I think. But she coughs. She eats and plays and isn't lethargic at all. It is hard to describe the cough.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

First, congratulations on your new addition! I hope you have many happy years together!

Even if vaccinated for kennel cough, there are many strains and exposure or even the modified live vaccination itself can still result in kennel cough in puppies and adult dogs. Similar to having a flu vaccination but still getting the flu virus in a more mild form. The cough is comparable to something being caught in the throat or a cat with a hairball.

There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief

1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant

2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs

3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situation

Unfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.

I hope this information makes sense! Since the cough is productive and she was just adopted I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted. In addition if she develops lethargy or a reduced appetite then it would be best to have a veterinary exam.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both! I am online another few moments tonight to assist you.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good afternoon I hope you were able to view my responses and your new puppy is more comfortable!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!