Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

My dog punctured an inhaler for my son's asthma. Our dog is

Customer Question

My dog punctured an inhaler for my son's asthma. Our dog is very lethargic right now. Any advice?
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 28 days ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Can you tell me the name of the drug in the inhaler? When did this occur?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The name of the drug is Abudral.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
It occurred earlier this evening. I am out of town. My wife called an emergency vet and they told her to bring Sully in
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Sully is one year old Cavapoo

Could you possibly mean albuterol?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Should my wife proceed to emergency room?

Okay, please hold on while I look this up really quickly on our ER lists.

Can you put your hand on his chest and feel his heartbeat and take a heart rate for me? Count how many heartbeats in 15 seconds while looking at your watch, then multiply by 4.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
My wife won't pick up. She is heading to emergency room. I can text her any advice. She is frantic.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
It is beating super fast

Okay, if you are not with the dog, then I would advise to go to the ER. They may need to give propranolol to get the heart rate down and to help normalize the potassium level. Good luck. Please follow up here as needed.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.

The heart rate can typically get very high, and you need to to be less than 160 beats per minute, otherwise ER treatment is necessary.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Okay my wife is driving to ER. Dog is definitely having problem breathing.

He is probably just breathing very fast due to high heart rate and electrolyte abnormalities. These can all be fixed at the ER. Best of luck!

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 27 days ago.

Any update for me? How did things go at the ER?

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 24 days ago.
Hi Josh Bottomly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Ann M.