Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

I have a 22 lb dog - a cavachon - friends staying with me at

Customer Question

HI ... i have a 22 lb dog - a cavachon - friends staying with me at my apt says he ate at least 8-10 grapes ... upon looking online it says dogs eating grapes is a dire emergency ... he is fine right now .. he may have eaten them in the past hour ... no vomiting or anything ... do i need to take him to a hospital right now? its 930pm my time .... have a call into the vet but haven't heard back from him ... how serious is this?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if into will be able to digest that. How old is into?
Customer: he is 3 years old ... 22 lbs ...
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about into?
Customer: nope ...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok

Actually, it is very serious. Grape ingestion in dogs can cause irreversible kidney failure. You need to induce vomitng by giving him two teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide orally now. The toxic component of grapes is not known, but it can shut down the kidneys permanently if not treated early and relatively aggressively with iv fluids and decontamination. After you induce vomiting, you need to take him to an emergency veterinary hospital so that they can get baseline kidney values and then start him on iv fluid diuresis to try and protect his kidneys. Most patients are on iv fluids for three days. In a dog this size even a couple of grapes could be toxic. If he does not vomit for you or you do not have hydrogen peroxide, then they can induce vomiting at the emergency clinic. Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating my response.