Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I just recently moved into a new home and my dog broke out

Customer Question

Hello! I just recently moved into a new home and my dog broke out in hives. I switched him to a new grain free food (turkey and sweet potato). I'm giving him fish oil, coconut oil in his food, a multi vitamin and anti fungal shampoo baths. He doesn't seem to be getting better. He's an American Bulldog all white. Any ideas would help? I wish I could attach a picture so you could see. He's losing a lot of hair where the bumps are all over his body. He does have some crusting over (puss) the shampoo seems to help with that a bit. I'm at a loss on what it could be.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bulldog's name and age?
Customer: Brody is 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brody?
Customer: He's always had a little ear infection or skin irritation here and there but nothing this bad
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

If Brody has hives, this suggests an allergic skin reaction. Depending on when you switched his diet, it may be playing a role. Though if you have moved to a new home, its quite possible that something in the house (ie carpet powder, dust or storage mites, chemicals used in the yard, etc) has set off his signs.

Therefore you will want to review what is present in the home and consider cleaning carpets and hosing down any lawns/plants. Otherwise, you can start Brody on an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Of course, if this is severe or the shampoo isn't controlling the secondary infection (bacterial pyoderma), then we'd be best to have him seen by the local vet for a long acting steroid injection along with antibiotics to settle both the infection and underlying allergy here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've attached a picture of what his poor body looks like
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again,

Thank you for the photo.

You are right these are allergy induced hives as opposed to obvious pustules bacteria or cysts from parasites. So, the above would be our focus of treatment for your lad.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You don't think it's mange? Or possibly his new food?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

It does not look like mange from the photo you have provided. In regards ***** ***** it could be to blame (since allergies of any kind can potentially trigger hives) if you started it right before the signs. If you did, consider putting him back onto a diet you know he tolerates. If he settles, then it did play a role. But if he doesn't, then again out suspect environmental allergies would need to be considered.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. I will just keep doing what I'm doing.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best,

Dr. B.

**Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )