Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She's vomiting yellow bile every couple of hours. and she

Customer Question

She's vomiting yellow bile every couple of hours. and she hasn't been eating. we got her to drink some water this morning and a little kibble but she vomited it up again.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Well it started the night after I let her out. I can't confirm if she did or not.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Harley, just under two years old and she's a lab, maybe boxer/whipit mix?
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Harley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?
Customer: She's been a bit lethargic.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she has these signs?

Can she keep any water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has she had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Symptoms have been occurring for the past 2 days.We got her to drink water this morning, and a little kibble but I think she threw it up as I found another vomit pile and cleaned it up.Her gums are pink mostly, but there's a little paleness. Some parts are moist, others sticky.There doesn't seem to be any discomfort, tenderness or tension.It's possible she may have drank some water out of the drain pipe. It happens sometimes, but she's never gotten sick from it. Usually if she eats bone (rawhide) she'll regurgitate it.I haven't noticed any diarrhea.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to see that Harley doesn't have any of those red flag signs I asked about. As well, if she has drunk from that water source before without issue, then its less likely this is causing her signs now. Instead, this is more likely to be due to a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

With this all in mind and with her sounding to struggle keeping water down, we need to tread with care. Dogs too nauseous to keep water down often are the ones that we need to skip to injectable anti-nausea medication from their vets. Though if she managed to keep down even a sip, then we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then again we'd need her local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk for Harley, we need to keep a close eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you do find these dehydration signs, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She also managed to get some curry the night before this started and we did get another type of dog food for her. Same brand, just different mix.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Curry could certainly cause nausea/gut upset and if it was a quick diet change it could possibly play a role (but usually they get diarrhea not vomiting this profuse). Still the above will help settle her stomach if it is due to these foods. But if she doesn't settle, those other concerns I noted would be most likely.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.