Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

35lbs.mixed breed canine with signs and symptoms of uti what

Customer Question

35lbs.mixed breed canine with signs and symptoms of uti what dosage of amoxicillin? 500 MG capsules
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 30 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

While you will need to keep a close eye on Amy Lou (since bladder stones, urine crystal issues and bladder tumors can appear similarly to UTIS), one would tend to use a dose between 175-420mg every 12 hours for 7 days for a dog her size. For ease of administration you could divide the capsules contents in half (using plain gelatin capsules from your pharmacy) to give her a mid range dose. Of course, if you use this and she doesn't settle, you'd want to consider having her vet test a urine sample to rule out those other concerns +/- have the urine cultured to make sure this isn't an Amoxicillin resistant bacterial infection that may need an alternative antibiotic to settle.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )