Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My pomoranian goes when any body walks by outside, When the

Customer Question

my pomoranian goes nuts when any body walks by outside, When the doorbell rings,
when visitors get up to leave and as they leave, she nips at their heals. We are ready to give up on her as we no longer have visitors including our grown children.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you.

Training Luna that barking is not an acceptable way to get attention is definitely the right decision. When she barks, you need to use a short phrase and when she stops, immediately reward. I use the term "leave it" with my animals. You should also initially have her on a leash in the house so that she is not able to chase after anyone and nip their heals. Make sure the treats you use are small and high end, meaning a small piece of low fat string cheese or Zuke's treats. More importantly, you need to work with her several times each day with commands like "sit and stay". She needs to understand the importance of those two commands before you can get a handle on the other behavior. Initially, carrying treats around with you and catching the behavior when she is starting to bark, will help her understand better. I also find that when she is barking and you say "leave It'", gently touch her on her back or neck with two fingers to add emphasis to the command. Not hard, just a light touch. It is a form of distraction from the negative behavior, focuses her back on you and then you can immediately treat. You can also decrease her normal dog food a little to make her more treat focused. I avoid scolding because negative reinforcement is not effective. Ideally, working with a local trainer would be the best. Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread for a few days, even after rating my response. Take care.