PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

I've recently moved my dog to a raw diet. She's about 25

Customer Question

I've recently moved my dog to a raw diet. She's about 25 pounds, moderately active, American Eskimo. For a class on sustainability I am trying to prove that dog ownership can be modified to be eco-friendly. So I am trying to feed her smaller animal meat (rabbit, chicken, turkey, NO COWS!!) and local produce. I want to make sure she is getting her proper nutrients at a price I can pay for with a college budget.
Can someone give me a reasonable dietary guideline for what I should be feeding her? I.E.: amount of food, ratio of protein, cuts of meat, appropriate bones, etc.?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Hi, Alex, it looks like you and I are working on two questions together. Can you tell me more about what you're hoping to achieve with Ari?

1) Does she have any medical concerns?
2) What is your monthly budget roughly?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ari has no real medical concerns except for (possible) allergies. I've starting including olive oil and raw honey to help a bit with that.Roughly speaking, I can spend about $25-30 for dog food. It's not a lot. But she is also my baby, so if this needs to be altered, i can definitely work to accommodate.

Perfect. Give me about 30 minutes to do some research into what options exist in this price range.

When considering proteins and expenses, chances are that Ari is going to be limited to mostly chicken as that is going to be your cheapest source of food. We typically feed 3% of a dog's body weight, so Ari would receive roughly 12oz of food per day or 360oz (23 pounds) of food per month. Those numbers will come in handy in determining what you can afford to feed. When feeding a species appropriate raw food diet (SARF) that models after wholly raw with no additional fruits or vegetables or grains, the percentages are typically 70% raw meaty bones and 30% organs. Every SARF feeder does this differently, but you can package meals accordingly at 8oz of RMB and 4oz organs. Chicken hearts, livers, kidneys, etc. are all fairly cheap. Being a smaller dog, you'll need to look at wings and drum sticks. If she's a very tenacious eater, she may be able to handle thighs easily too.

You can learn more here:
And here:

I would also look into supplements. Many SARF/BARF diets don't call for supplementation but most feeders agree it's wise to err on the side of caution. Here's an example of a supplement that can be used:

So, when looking at the cost, you're going to need 15# ***** RMB and 8# ***** organs (roughly). These are price estimates based on USA average costs:

Chicken legs: $1.62/#
Chic***** *****vers: 72 cents/#

This equals out to being $24 for chicken legs, $6 for chic***** *****vers and $23 for supplement which should last about 6 months ($4/month). We like to see more variety in this, so do shop around for chicken wings, chicken hearts, other proteins like rabbit or turkey that might be on sale, etc. Otherwise, a rough estimate for your monthly costs would be roughly $34.

As a raw feeder myself, I highly HIGHLY recommend shopping at fresh markets (especially asian and mexican markets) as they tend to have unique RMB and organ opportunities for lower prices. Examples in my area are pork tongue, goat, rabbit, pork uterus, tripe, turkey tails, chicken necks, etc). Chicken necks, if you can find them, can cut your bill for RMB in half dropping your monthly expense closer to $20.

Don't hesitate to join groups on Facebook and other medias for raw feeding in your area so others can share their expertise!

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Checking in, Alex. Did I cover all the points you had questions over?

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 28 days ago.
Hi Alex,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ari. How is everything going?