jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

Im joel, i have a 6(and a half) year old boxer named Baxter,

Customer Question

hi there im joel
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: i have a 6(and a half) year old boxer named Baxter
JA: Where does Baxter seem to hurt?
Customer: i dont think he s hurting, however, lately he s become aggressive towards people he doesnt know and i feel he s a bit more aggressive to other dogs also)
JA: How old is Baxter?
Customer: 6,5 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baxter?
Customer: nope castrated
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Jane. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will be back in touch with you as soon as possible.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Does Baxter seem to shed more when you pet him than he did previously?

Is it hard for him to rise after he has been laying down a long time?

Can you describe an incident or two where he showed aggression?

Has he had obedience training?

Is he aggressive toward family at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ANSWER: Yes although he always sheds in between seasons...?Is it hard for him to rise after he has been laying down a long time?
ANSWER: not particularlyCan you describe an incident or two where he showed aggression?
ANSWER: He bit a handyman at my parents house two weeks ago. Aparently the guy didnt do anything, but I'm pretty sure he either approached him or it seemed that way to Baxter. Now obviously that's a no-go, but if someone makes sudden movements, it scares him. He's had a thing with swinging hands the past two years, were passersby seem to scare him. These have to be strangers tho: he would never do that to me. Also, he s become a bit moody and sometimes shows what he doesn't like by (gently) growling. For instance, my wife seems to think he s a lapdog, which I have taught him not to be. she sits on the floor next to him and pulls his head onto her lap, which he doesn't like. Lastly, he has a bad temper (since being a puppy) around his food.Has he had obedience training?
ANSWER: yes: but only the basics, which I've tried to follow through on as much as I could. I sometimes travel and then he used to stay with my parents or inlaws, who, in the latter case, completely messed that up.Is he aggressive toward family at all?
ANSWER: Almost never, except for the above situation or his food. He is never aggressive to me.

Sorry for the delay. I was called away on an emergency. Thank you for all that great information.

The first thing that you really need to do is rule out hypothyroidism. Often dogs with hypothyroidism will have hair that tends to break off at the root during petting. It is prevalent in the breed and can cause aggression problems. You can read more about medical causes for aggression here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/medical-causes-of-aggression-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://www.tropicaldogtraining.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Dodman_MA10.pdf

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.michvma.org/resource/resmgr/MVC_Proceedings_2015/horwitz_02.pdf

If it is medical in nature, treating the underlying cause will help correct the aggression. However, it may also be behavioral especially if he hasn't had any real obedience training. The growling to indicate he doesn't want to do something does seem more dominance related. For that you will want to start obedience training. Even older dogs can benefit from formal obedience training though it does not have to be formal classes. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Be sure your wife also works with him on the obedience training. Use hot dog slivers. Dogs tend to like those as a treat and are willing to work for them. Each time a dog obeys a command even if for a treat it makes them a little more submissive. Once they see the owners as the boss, they won't growl to show they don't want to do something. In addition, they should look to the bosses (you and your wife) to determine if a person or dog is a threat and not act on their own to protect the property or themselves. Of course, YOU have to protect them and keep potential threats away as well.

Keep a leash attached to him and let him drag it. If he acts inappropriately, give a little tug to get his attention on you and a low toned firm NO to indicate that you find it unacceptable and won't allow it anymore.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Following up to see if you had a chance to implement any of my suggestions yet. Did you find them helpful?