Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My puppy woke up at midnight with diarrhea, now puked about

Customer Question

My puppy woke up at midnight with diarrhea, now puked about 5 times and is shaking. Not sure the problem
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your puppy eat anything unusual?
Customer: No not that I'm aware of. Called my vet and he didn't seem overly concerned. My puppy just seems in pain
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your puppy?
Customer: No we just got him 2 weeks ago. We were actually just in there today for a booster shot
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 29 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does the vomit and diarrhea look like?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Where is painful?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Diarrhea was brown all liquid. The vomit was yellow with small chunks in it. He does not seem interested in water in the past hour. His gums are light pink and sticky. He tenses up when i touch his stomach as well. He is trying to sleep at the moment. Still shivering
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
As far as I know he has not gotten into anything he shouldn't have either
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I live in the middle of no where, my closest vet doesn't open up for 6 more hours. That's why I'm on here
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 29 days ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that the gums are pink but if they are sticky that is a sign that dehydration is already creeping in here. Furthermore, while the shivering is just a non-specific sign that he feels unwell, if you think he is sore in his belly or has eaten something harmful then we'd need to consider a trek to a open ER vet. Otherwise, if you just think he is tensing and isn't likely to have eaten something dangerous, then we can start supportive care overnight.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk with those sticky gums, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE ( If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, since you noted no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Though if he is painful or could have eaten something harmful, we'd want to have him seen even if it means a long distance trip. Otherwise, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above by the time his vet is open; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )