Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

He's been eating grass quite a bit, and he woke up this

Customer Question

He's been eating grass quite a bit, and he woke up this morning and started vomiting yellow liquid.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: The only thing different would be that we purchased an elk horn for our shep mix and yesterday we found it demolished. I'm concerned our frenchie may have eaten some of it. He's also had diarrhea lately, so I'm not sure what to do.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No, he's pretty healthy. He has a sensitive tummy every once in a while, but we end up changing his diet. Ah.. I did give him some natural pumpkin to mix with his regular Blue Buffalo food. We ran out of the blue buff wet food, and that's the only way he eats it. Thank you,
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your little one. What is his name? How old is he? How long ago was the first vomit of the yellow liquid and how long ago was the last time he vomited it up?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He's 2.5, his name is ***** ***** the vomiting has been since this morning but he's clearly not feeling well. He had diarrhea all last week. We're concerned there could be poisonous chemicals our apartment has been placing on the property.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They said they were only spraying round up?

Ok. The use of round up is pretty safe. I wouldn't be all that worried about it being the cause of this. When it is an issue, it is typically finding the container of it or getting into puddles / spilled areas of it. What goes onto the plants and then dries, that isn't going to be a problem. The vomiting he's doing could be due to elk horn being eaten. It could have been chewed into pieces that are small enough to be swallowed but then too big to pass through his intestinal tract. The eating of the grass before all this was his way of showing his stomach was going to get upset. They will a lot of times eat grass when they are feeling nauseated. The grass didn't cause it. The diarrhea could be due to his stomach being currently upset. With it starting before the vomiting, could it be due to intestinal parasites or giardia? The best thing that you can do is to have your vet check him over and I would be taking some x-rays to see if there is pieces of bone in his intestinal tract.