Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Panting and pacing not sleeping all need get and threw up

Customer Question

Panting and pacing not sleeping all need get and threw up last night
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: We gave her some applesauce in the early afternoon and her vomit was brown but she didn't eat her poop it didn't have that smell
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

You noted that her vomit was brown. Was it brown like food or did it look like coffee grounds?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has she had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No diarrhea
No tensing or anything when I touch her stomach but it does feel really hard
Gums are pink and moist
She is keeping water down
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that her gums and that she hasn't pain when you press on her belly. Though if it is hard to the touch, she's restless and panting; I'd be concerned that she is tensing due to pain and then putting on a brave face for you. Furthermore, if the vomit does look like coffee grounds, we'd have to be worried about the start of a stomach ulcer or damage from something she has eaten. So, if she is very tense and if the vomit looks like that, we'd want her seen urgently.

Otherwise, if the vomit was more food colored, then we'd also have to consider a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or general dietary indiscretions. And if that is more likely here, then we can at least try her with some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. I am a bit concerned if that belly is tense, those other signs, and that you noted brown vomit initially. If it does appear as I noted or she is quite tense, we are best to have her seen at this point. Though if that isn't the case, then we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. Of course, if she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out stomach ulcers, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, gastroprotectants, +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )