Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Symptoms of possible heart murmur? What should be behavior

Customer Question

symptoms of possible heart murmur? What should be behavior of dog if they have heart condition?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again James

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Disease related heart murmurs is actually quite common in older dogs like Lucky, this is something I have seen many times in my career. In my experience the early initial signs of this disease could include a chronic cough, lethargy and exercise intolerance, later on some swelling of the abdomen may be apparent.

2. This is something your vet will easily be able to diagnose just by listening to your dog's heart with a stethoscope, but here is a link to a very accurate article which covers this disease in depth : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again James,

I am just checking back in to see how Lucky is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning heart murmurs ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.