Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

She was chewing on Spiriva handihaler not sure if she

Customer Question

she was chewing on Spiriva handihaler not sure if she ingested any and I am freaking out
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: she is stable but worried im worried sorry
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: she does not hurt we just caught her eating them and want advice on what to do
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: she is 1 and she is 8lbs small doxie
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please confirm the spelling of what she was chewing on. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Spiriva handihaler

Great thank you. Did you note any puncture marks on the inhaler or any spilled powder? Those inhalers have to be opened and primed prior to expelling the powder.

Spiriva is only 2-3 % available when ingested as apposed to inhaled. This is an anticholinergic so clinical signs include dilated pupils, dry mouth, urinary retention, vomiting, and high heart rate. If you just found her chewing on it and there are no punctures on the inhaler and she is acting normal, then it is unlikely that she ingested any. If she has any vomiting, seems agitated or her pupils are enlarged significantly, then she likely ingested some and should be seen at a local emergency clinic this evening. Feel free to ask additional questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you she had the tablets that she chewed on and they were opened my boyfriend is at home with her and thinks she did ingest them but thank you we will watch for signs

You are very welcome. I am online until about 10:30 if you have any other questions pop up. If you are satisfied with my answer, then please take time to rate my response. You can continue to post on this thread for a few days, even after rating. Take care.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thank you honestly this is not very helpful thank you

I'm sorry that you did not find the information on the potential side effects helpful. Is there something else that I neglected?