Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a westie and we think he has a bowl blockage. He is

Customer Question

i have a westie and we think he has a bowl blockage. He is retaining alot of fluid he is eating and peeing not dog food but chicken and rice we are making him and sometimes egs eggs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: levi he is 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about levi?
Customer: we took him to the vet and she doesn't know what is going on but thinks he may have cancer he has yellowish bowl coming out alittle during the day when we are at work she receintly cleaned out his retal glands as they were blocking up
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
his nose is cold and wet he is ratting and drinking maybe not as much as usual he isn't lethargic. He just is having a hard time walking as he has been diagnosed with reacurance of lymes disease too. PLEASE advise us what we can do.
Can we administer a enema to release the pressure and fluid in the swollen stomach.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Levi. It sounds as if his abdomen is effusive - full of fluid. An enema won't be helpful in that case. The proper manner in which to proceed is to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and aspirate a sample of the fluid and have it analyzed by our pathologist. Abdominal effusions have many possible causes but most often are caused by right-sided heart failure, a lack of production of albumin (a small protein needed to keep fluid inside vessels and out of spaces such as the abdomen) by a failing liver, loss of albumin through failing kidneys and loss of albumin through debilitated bowels. Less commonly the fluid represents blood, pus, and inflammation associated with neoplasia (cancer). Abdominal effusions always indicate severe disease processes.

I'm concerned that his Lyme disease has resulted in kidney failure - a common cause of an abdominal effusion when the glomeruli (the filtering organs of the kidneys) are damaged by the Lyme bacteria and allow too much albumin to be lost through the urine. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.