Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our 9 year old Labrador Retriever has been on Proin for

Customer Question

Our 9 year old Labrador Retriever has been on Proin for incontinence for about two years now. We originally started her on 1 pill (25 mg I believe) per day, which resolved her 'leaking' problem (generally occurs when she lays down or sleeps), but we dialed that back to 1/2 a pill every other day, and it's almost always effective. However, of the course of the past year and a half, there have been a couple of instances that she starts to leak again. If we've found that 1/2 a pill every other day is effective for months on end, do you have any idea what could cause it's reduced efficacy every now and then? We may just increase her dosage, but we're concerned about the side affects. Are there any alternative treatments that you might recommend? Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Honey. Bacterial urinary tract infection is the most common cause of treatment failure and these infections are quite common in dogs suffering from a urethral incompetence such as Honey. The first order of business is to have her urine checked for infection when her leaking exacerbates. Urine should be obtained by cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of her bladder through her abbominal wall - the most sterile manner in which to obtain urine. If no infection is found, dosing frequency and/or amount is necessary. Chronic Proin administration is generally well-tolerated. If side effects - usually GI distress, restlessness, anxiety, and/or irritability - arise the dose can be decreased and an estrogen such as DES or estriol added to the Proin. We also have the option of treating with these estrogens as sole agents which has the advantage of as little as twice weekly dosing as opposed to the daily dosing of Proin.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.