Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dog has ingested oleander. Vomit and bloody diarrhea. What

Customer Question

Dog has ingested oleander. Vomit and bloody diarrhea. What should I do. Closest vet is 90 miles away
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Twila
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Twila?
Customer: She is an English Bulldog about 2 yrs old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

JACustomer, Twila's best chance at successful recovery is going to be under treatment of veterinary staff, even if that's 90 miles away. Right now her only symptoms are GI-related, which is common in the first stages of symptoms. However, she is likely to progress into more serious symptoms such as tremors, seizures, cardiac arrhythmia, spiked potassium level, coma and death.

Although the clinic is quite a drive, I would take her in. It would be better to err on the side of caution in this case.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Twila?