Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I brought my 16 year old dog with me to Folly Beach to see

Customer Question

I brought my 16 year old dog with me to Folly Beach to see my stepson. He was fine yesterday. He does have hip problems but not severe. I helped him up the stairs twice yesterday and we did a walk on the beach. When we came in last night he would not get out of the car. His hip seems to hurt. I let him stay a
L night. This mor ing he has eaten, had water and I gave him his fluid for reduced kidney function. I also gave him a Tramadol. He is sleeping and will not get up even to go potty. He stretches occasionally . What else can I do
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great. I am 200 miles from home.

When dogs are painful in the back, hips or knees, it's not uncommon for us to see that they will wait until they absolutely must go to the bathroom to take the opportunity. I would not be too worried yet since he is still eating and drinking well. With time, he will likely go to the bathroom. If he does not, I would be more concerned about his reduced kidney function being to blame and have him checked by a vet. The stress of travel can also have a lot to do with symptoms in an older dog like Rusty. Certainly ensure that these next few days are for rest and recovery. The beach walks may simply be too much for him. You may wish to talk to your vet in the near future about adding a joint supplement, if he isn't on one, such as glucosamine chondroitin. You can also use a heating pad set to low and wrapped in a towel to place over his hips and alternate its location every 30 minutes or so. Make sure to check this area often so that it doesn't end up being too warm against his skin.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is on cosequin Ds. Since he is in my car and it may get too hot should I try to move him? I can run the AC occasionally. He wiggles to get comfortable. I do not use arthritis meds due to his kidneys. Should I continue the tranadol. He does not normally take it every day. I guess he could as many old dogs do.

Yes, try to move him inside. Once on the ground, you can use a towel or sheet to sling his hips and help him walk. If he needs it, give it. He needs something to keep him comfortable.

How is Rusty doing today?