Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My puppy is 2 months shes sick...she was fine when i went to

Customer Question

My puppy is 2 months shes sick...she was fine when i went to sleep when i awoke...she was sick and when i pick her up her head just floops...her brother had the same problem yesterday and he died dont want her to meet the same fate help me save my puppy please
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your puppy. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Silk
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Silk?
Customer: She two months she was fine last night...no shots
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What breed of dog is she?
2) When did she last eat?
3) What symptoms are you seeing aside from being limp?
4) Has she had any veterinary care at all?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She is mix silky terrier and Pomeranian. She last ate yesterday afternoon. Her only symptom is being limp. She won't hold her head up she won't eat she wont do anything. She was fine last night she slept on the bed with me. I put her in the box when I went to sleep and when I woke up this morning she was like that.

1) How long have you had her?
2) How much does she weigh?
3) How often are you feeding her?
4) Any vomiting or diarrhea?

To start, find either honey, molasses or regular pancake syrup and put a few drops into her mouth. She does not need to swallow. Within 10-15 minutes, she should be able to hold her head up and will be acting more bright if her blood glucose is low. I'll be standing by for the answers to the questions above.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I put a little bit of honey on my finger and put it in her mouth. She's blinking but she's still not moving. She is about 2 months old. She weighs about 2 pounds. I feed her Iams adult food mixed with powdered goat's milk for puppies about twice a day. No there is no vomiting or diarrhea she's just laying on her side and won't move still

How long have you had her?

First things first, at 2 months old she is not an adult. She needs to go on puppy food. She can have adult food when she is closer to 1 year of age.

At 2 pounds, she absolutely must have food available at all times. If this is not an option, she needs to be fed every 2-3 hours around the clock. At a year old, she can be fed 2-3 times daily. With her being this small, she does not have the calorie reserves to keep her blood sugar where it needs to be for 12 hours. If she ate yesterday afternoon, she has been almost 24 hours without food. That is more than enough to disable a small puppy and potentially be life-threatening.

How long have you had her?

Checking in, JACustomer. How is she doing now? Any improvement in her activity?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No improvement in her activity she still just laying there barely breathing

I think its time that you head to the vet's office. Because her brother has already died and she's showing the same symptoms, erring on the side of caution would be the best plan for her.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your little girl doing?