Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My German Shepard got sick a month ago, I took him to the

Customer Question

My German Shepard got sick a month ago, I took him to the hospital, they put in a pic line in his right front leg, a month later he has developed an abscess in his right shoulder. The vet put him on antibiotics and said if the abscess doesn't heal they will put him to sleep to clean it out. My question is, do you think the abscess was caused from an contaminated area when the pic line was put in?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Karen, I am sorry to learn Dublin has an abscess in his shoulder. In response to your question, the catheters we use to place in the front leg are short, about 2-3 inches and will not travel so far to the shoulder. Very seldom do we see abscess or infection as we sterilize the area. If an infection were to occur it would likely be limited to the area where the catheter was placed. It is not likely that the abscess Dublin has in the shoulder to be related to the catheter placed in his front leg, even less likely if it was placed 1 month ago.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter