Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian

My dog just ate some corn dog and tots and is now whining

Customer Question

My dog just ate some corn dog nuggets and tots and is now whining and trying to throw up but nothing comes out, just belches.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Angel and she is 8 I think.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Angel?
Customer: Not that I can think of. Is this going to cost me anything?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She just threw up a tater tot but her belly is still distended and she whines every once in a while. Her breathing has improved but still short and shallow but not as much.
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 month ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that Angel is vomiting tonight. It sounds like she is decontaminating herself after eating the human food. This is very common in dogs and is a way to protect themselves from poison.

First- what breed is Angel? I just saw the second message that her stomach seems distended? Could she have Bloat?

If bloat is not what we are thinking for her-

Here is what I would do tonight-

-remove all food and water for at least 4 hours. Dogs will drink excessively after vomiting and it just makes them more nauseous.

-After she has stopped vomiting for 4 hours, you can offer very small (about 1/2 cup at a time) amounts of water once every 30 minutes.

-If she is able to hold this down overnight, you can give her a normal breakfast in the morning.

-If she continues to vomit overnight, she needs to see your vet first thing.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

How is Angel doing? Any more vomiting or rumbling stomach? Do you have any more questions for me?

Dr. Amanda